Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Short stack of buttermilk pancakes would sure hit the spot right now.

Just an example of the "witty banter" demonstrated by your fellow members of Strikeforce Lightning in the ridiculously absurd yet sublime Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon for the Xbox360 (and PS3).

 The premise is a very generic one: an alien invasion of earth is under way and you and your team of commando's must battle giant mutant insects and robots (and robo-insects....didn't see that one coming did you?) to save mankind from oblivion. The game itself is equally generic with its graphics, sound, game play and overall production values. For example: the in game physics engine is so ridiculous that when an object or enemy is on the receiving end of an explosion or shotgun blast they are flung skyward into the stratosphere. Graphical clipping is prevalent through out the game too with the enemies moving inside the terrain at points. The game also freezes up on occasion; usually when the action on screen is overwhelming. Its a generally bad game.

Its also the BEST $40 bucks I've spent on a game all year. For all its shortcomings (and they are legion) EDF manages to do something other games can't do: Be completely fun and almost infinitely re playable. I've started using EDF as my go to game for mindless fun. Long day at the office? I drop in EDF and shoot bugs and blow up New Detroit with high explosives for an hour and I feel great afterward! Mother-In-Law coming to visit?? EDF to the rescue with giant robots that are as tall as skyscrapers that you battle with crazy weaponry like 'The Burnhive' (a shotgun that fires homing rounds that deal fire damage too).

I have more fun playing this dumb-ass game than any other in a long time. Even though I've pretty much memorized 'Oldman' & 'The Kid' 's dialogue (your AI squad mates), I've completed the "story" mode, I've begun the survival mode, I STILL want more. I still smile like a Viscount in a Duster crossing the Ohio border. It just makes me happy knowing that there are still games out there that give a person hours of enjoyment and their moneys worth. I'm liking the 4 types of soldiers you can choose from, I like leveling up the soldiers so I can gain access to the increasingly bonkers firepower I can utilize. I just love killing bugs and robots with high caliber firepower and blowing buildings up with rocket launchers.

If you are looking for the next big budget blockbuster war game pass on this and get Battlefield 3 or the next Modern Warfare game. If you're like me and want to play something rather casual that feels like it could have made a great movie on the SyFy channel.....pick up Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon. I can't sing its praises enough.

EDF! EDF! EDF!