Monday, October 17, 2011

Canadian Thanksgiving Holiday Festival -or- Shadowrun game got postponed & the rest of us still got together.

Early on last week we were trying to assemble the Shadowrun crew for a game and for various reasons it didn't happen. People had work, one went to the Ren Faire, and we didn't hear back from another. So the rest of us decided to do a board game/movie night instead. Then the idea of us doing a big dinner was also presented. And that turned into Matt cooking a delicious turkey with whipped potatoes. Jess & I make chocolate cake and cornbread stuffing. Evil Brian brought the drinks. So in honor of Canadian Thanksgiving we decided to hold our own dinner for it. It was a success.

And Jack even showed up. He hit reply instead of reply all on his email so only Evil Brian got it on friday. We now *could* have played Shadowrun but Matt was already set to not and the rest of us didn't have our stuff for it. Dammit.

So we played Munchkin Cthulhu with all the expansions. And 4 of the 5 of us won the game (thanks to a dungeon card on table that didn't let us win at all until dispelled and 4 of us were over the winning level 10 when it did).

Afterwards we watched some movies. First up:

This was hilarious! Quite possibly the best Star Wars related movie I've seen. Its about Yoda's padawan class going on a field trip where a young Han Solo tags along. Hi jinx ensue. Darth Vader keeps getting into the scenes & Lego George Lucas keeps coming on screen and getting him off set. Its ridiculous. I was laughing out loud for most of it. And I wish this was canon. It could make the prequels even better if it was.

Next up was a movie I had no interest in seeing and Matt was hell bent on showing me to try to sway my opinion that it just looked bad.



Well it didn't change my opinion at all. It wasn't very good. It kept losing my attention and I was bored with it to the point where I couldn't make fun of it just because it would involve effort and me actually paying attention.

It was approximately 1 1/2 hours of dull. And its a shame too. Because I could see how Ryan Reynolds (who I felt was mis-cast as Hal Jordan to start) could have actually shined here if it was written better than it was. It was a typical reluctant hero origin story. Very vanilla. The supporting cast was lifeless and drab, the CGI special effects were just garbage. It looked hokey. Oa looked like something out of a B rank video game. Its like Warner Bros realized this was a dog and stopped throwing money at it cause it was a stinker from opening shot. What really annoyed me was Hal's suit. It was all CGI and looked like his head was floating in air with a fake body hooked under it. It reminded me of a weatherman standing in front of the green screen in a green shirt doing a report. Floating head. Next time use a real suit and augment it with a glow. Or go the TRON: Legacy route on the costume.

And the saddest thing of all was the movie is just not memorable. I had a hard time paying attention to it when watching it and now two days later I can barely remember what about the story I disliked to write about it. I do remember my biggest complaint being there is really no frakking explanation in the movie as to why Sinestro puts on the yellow ring during the credits. Nothing. Matt and Jess both were hinting at subtle story hints but when you watch it this movie isn't subtle. And I was left with the impression that Sinestro was proud of Hal and they were going to have a other Lantern adventures. The turn was forced. Period. If they did a second movie that should be the fall of Sinestro and then he gets the ring. It felt almost like Venom in Spider-Man 3 with that.

All I can finish with is that I'm glad I didn't pay money to see this in the theater. I would have been royally pissed off if I had. I'm talking Spider-Man 3 pissed off. Sucker Punch pissed off.

And to finish the night we watched an anime I brought.



It involves a witch princess being sent to Earth to learn about other cultures, who uses magic and pro wrestling movies to kill anyone in her path. She's accompanied by a mascot pet who also wants her dead, she's battling her twin 8 year old sisters (who want to kill her and take her rights to the throne) and she animates vegetables as servants.

This is the potato she animated



This potato commits suicide in the show for failing her. Needless to say we were laughing so hard we were crying as its possibly the most frakked up anime I've watched in a LONG time. Its definitly not for everyone but for us we were quoting lines by the end of the DVD. Princess Figure Four Leg Lock indeed!

All in all it was a fun night. And I look forward to another movie night soon.