Monday, May 21, 2012

Quick Movie Review: Battleship




Big.


Loud.


Dumb.


Exactly what I wanted for a popcorn movie. I knew this was a potential Razzie nominee the moment they announced this movie was being considered. A movie based off a board game. So my expectations were on the low end of the spectrum for this with the following exceptions: I want lots of explosions and special effects, I want plot holes big enough to drive a aircraft carrier through, I want the cast to believe this is the best movie ever made (this year), I want to be entertained. I got all of those and more. Its a bad movie but an enjoyable one for me.


The highlight of the movie for me was towards the end where they launch the USS Missouri (which was decommissioned as a museum) for a final battle with aid from the remaining original crew. Watching those old salt sea dogs kick serious ass and seeing those huge guns discharge into an alien sea craft had me smiling from ear to ear.


Michael Bay would be proud to call this his movie. And if you just want a big, loud and dumb flick for a summer time matinee.....you can do much worse than seeing Battleship. Jess and I were both entertained.


Also there is a scene with Scottish boys after the credits. Yes....there are sheep present too.